Hydrometer or limos paper should be used to test the acidity of the solution which is normally caused by caustic soda. When it reads green it means that the acidity level is alright, when yellow or white it is neutral, but when it reads red the acidity is very high.
You can either add soda flakes to increase acidity or add industrial salt to reduce acidity depending on your result.
Click here to also learn “How to Produce Toilet/Medicated Soap“.
It is also important to know thatfor you to make liquid or detergent soap, the rate of PKO to causticsoda is 2:1 that is for every 10 liters of PKO you need 5 liters ofcaustic soda.
Safety Precautions/Measures whenmaking a Soap
Some ofthe important safety precautions and measures anyone making a soapshould strictly adhere to include but not limited to the following:
1. Focus – always avoid distractions and put your mind on the steps to be taken as failure to concentrate might lead to chemical spills or injuries.
2. Wear protective clothing which you must remove at the end of the whole procedure, these include,
- Eye goggles
- Long sleeves
- Hand gloves
- Nose guards. These are to prevent your skin from any accidental spill of chemical.
3. Keep all the Chemicals in a separate place away from the reach of children. You don’t want to expose your little ones to any form of danger!
4. Keep (If possible) a bottle of vinegar around you during the procedure. If you accidentally spill any chemical on the ground, pour some of the vinegar on the spot as this helps to neutralize the effect of the poisonous chemical.
5. Use common sense – in every circumstance, there are times when you just have to apply the use of common sense in situations where there might be no clearly stated rules of engagement. Always follow the rule of “safety first”. Just make sure you do what would keep you and your loved ones safe.
Below are the list of thematerials/Ingredients needed, their required quantities and theirfunctions:
- Natrosol – thickener
- Caustic soda (½) or soda ash (½)- cleansing agent
- Sulphonic acid – foaming agent and cleansing agent
- Texapon- foaming agent
- Sodium silicate
- Formalin- For preservation
- Mix one kg of natrosol with 20 liters of water and stir
- Put caustic soda ½kg or soda ash ½ kg in 1 liter of water separately
- Mix 3 liters of sulphonic acid and a liter of Texapon
- Mix all solutions together 1, 2 and 3
- Add little sodium silicate
- Add perfume and color
- Stir properly and add formalin
Howto make soap in Nigeria; complete guide